NEW CLASS! September is a great time to see the invertebrates of Oakland’s Lake Merritt, as the waters are clear and many of the seasonal sea slugs have just finished laying their eggs masses. Instructor Damon Tighe will take you through a brief history of the tidal mudflat including a prospectus on its future now that the channel back to the bay is being opened back up. Damon will introduce you to many of the creatures that you can find within Lake Merritt, from sea anemones to shrimp to nudibranchs. The following Saturday there will be a chance to go find some of these invertebrates along the shores of Lake Merritt.
- One classroom session on Tuesday September 15 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- One two-hour field trip on Saturday September 19. Meet at 10 a.m. at the Lake Merritt boat house.
- Instructor: Damon Tighe
- Limited to 15 participants. There will be a waiting list in case any participants drop out.
- Fee: $20 for Golden Gate Audubon members, $25 for non-members.
- Location: Ed Roberts Campus, Koret Room, 3075 Adeline Street, directly across the street from Ashby BART in Berkeley. Free parking in the lot behind the center.
- Click here to register.
ALSO: There are still a few spaces available in our fall Beginning Birding (evening session) and Advanced Beginning Birding classes. Both start in mid-September. For details and registration, see goldengateaudubon.org/education/classes/