- This event has passed.
Alcatraz Rookery Tour
July 13 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
THIS TRIP IS NOW FULL. Alcatraz is one of the most important waterbird nesting sites in northern California, with nine species breeding on the island. Alcatraz Waterbird Docent Corny Foster will share an informative look at the natural history of the island and the variety of birds and their life histories. We’ll see the birds up close on their nests, parents feeding chicks, and territorial displays, and we’ll discuss the general ecology of the region’s waterbird populations. This is an excellent opportunity for photographers, with many birds only a few feet away.
This will be an easy, slow-paced excursion. Depart from Pier 33 in San Francisco on the 10 a.m. ferry to Alcatraz only. (Please arrive at the dock 30 minutes early — at 9:30 a.m. — to meet the group.) The tour will end in the early afternoon. After the tour, participants may continue to explore the island and the prison, returning on the boat of their choice.
Trip is limited to 15 participants. We cannot add extra people since there are a fixed number of boat tickets. Bring binoculars (and scopes if you wish) and water. Snacks are allowed only on the dock area of the island. Restrooms available on the boat and on the island.
The cost, which covers round-trip boat tickets, is $41 for GGAS members and $76 for non-members.
Leader: Corny Foster, email@example.com, 415-720-6904 cell
Please note the following Covid-19 safety precautions and other logistics:
- Alcatraz Cruises, the boat operator, requires all passengers to wear masks and maintain social distancing on board. Passengers will have their temperatures checked and be asked some health questions before boarding. Your temperature must be below 100.4 F or 38 C in order to proceed.
Participants must register online and acknowledge acceptance of our liability waiver. You may register one other person in addition to yourself.
- Parking can be expensive near the dock. Leave enough time to park and make your way to the dock. Parking and transit info can be found under “plan your trip” at https://www.cityexperiences.com/san-francisco/city-cruises/alcatraz/plan-your-trip/. Verify all transit schedules since they may have changed with Covid.
- Registration will open at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 29 and close at 4 p.m. on Sunday, July 11. If you try to register before June 29, you’ll get a message that registration is closed.
- There will not be a waiting list for this trip and we cannot issue refunds for cancellations. (If you must cancel, you’re welcome to give your space to a friend.)
- Registered participants will be sent info on the meeting spot and other logistics in their email confirmation.
Click HERE to register.
Thank you for helping us ensure everyone’s safety!