Calling all Bay Area birders, age 18 or under!
Sharpen your birding skills, have fun, win prizes, and help protect Bay Area birds through Golden Gate Audubon Society’s 2020 Birdathon.
We’re launching a new contest for birders age 18 and younger. (Yes, YOU!)
Identify as many species as you can in a single day. Get family and friends to sponsor you with donations. The participants with the top bird count and top donation amount will each win a gift certificate for a pelagic birding trip with Alvaro’s Adventures OR a nature-focused sailing trip on the Bay aboard the Freda B schooner. (Winner’s choice.) Every participant who raises money will receive free admission to our Birdathon Awards Celebration on May 31, 2020. See details of the rules below.
The funds you raise will support GGAS’s work protecting birds, restoring habitat, and educating low-income elementary school students about the ecosystems in their neighborhoods.
- Sign up online for the Young Birders’ Birdathon Contest.
- Create a personal fundraising page using our template, with a link where family and friends can sponsor you.
- Ask family and friends to support you with a tax-deductible donation. They may donate online through your fundraising page, or send a check to the GGAS office. See Young Birders Fundraising Tips for fundraising advice and a sample email you can send them.
- Choose your own Big Day—any 24-hour period between April 1 and May 10, 2020. You can bird at multiple sites during that day, as long as they are within the following Bay Area counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, or Sonoma.
- Get out in the field! Identify as many bird species as you can via sight or ear. Log your findings on eBird.
- Submit your eBird report(s) to GGAS: Send them to Board Member Eric Schroeder at email@example.com.
Donations must be received by GGAS by May 17, 2020 to count toward eligibility for the fundraising prize.
eBird lists must be received by GGAS by May 17, 2020 to count toward eligibility for the birding prize.
Winners will be announced at the Birdathon Awards Celebration on Sunday afternoon, May 31, 2010.
All Young Birders Contest participants who raise any amount of money (even $20!) are invited to attend the Awards Celebration free of charge. Click here to sign up, and choose the Free Admission option.
Details: Our rules generally conform to the ABA Recording and Big Day Count Rules. All Birdathon participants must bird in accordance with the ABA Code of Ethics. Only full species as indicated by the current ABA Checklist will be considered.