2022 Birdathon Rules
Our rules generally conform to the ABA Recording and Big Day Count Rules
Rules specific to Birdathon Count events are as follows:
- Ethics: All participants must bird in accordance with the ABA Code of Ethics
- Counting: Only full species as indicated by the current ABA Checklist will be considered
- Time: All counts must be conducted between 5am-9pm. Counts must take place on Saturday, April 9th.
- Area: San Francisco Team (SF and San Mateo County). East Bay Team (Contra Costa and Alameda County)
- Travel: Participants on a team must remain within direct voice-connect distance during all travel (except when traveling in multiple vehicles).
- Identification: Birds can be identified by sight or call. Species must be identified by two people.
- Outside Information: Teams can use all outside information they choose before the count begins, and then none after counting has started.
- Use of Audio: Electronic or recorded bird calls may not be used for attracting bird species during the Bay Birding Challenge.
- Deadline: To be eligible for an award, partcipants must submit their list to eBird by April 11, 2022.